Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First Week

So the first week of winter semester is almost done for me. I don’t have classes on Friday. Woot! In fact I barely work, which just means I’ll be studying all day. As far as classes go I have three Econ classes: Game Theory, Labor Economics, and Economic Development. They all seem pretty interesting. They are all applied to the real world now. I spent my time drudging through all the courses that taught me all the skills and now these classes are an application of those skills. All 3 Econ professors are quite interesting too.

My game theory professor has an extremely dry sense of humor, and I don’t even get most of his jokes. I always felt pretty comfortable around dry humor, but this guy loses me a lot. That, or he isn’t very funny… Possible. My labor economics teacher refers to himself as coach. Which isn’t a bad thing… I kind of like the guy so far. We’ll see how long that lasts. We do have a paper due next week. Which reminds me… I need to get an idea and start running regressions… Oi! My economic development teacher is a hoot. Unfortunately I can’t really explain it. But… well he’s really funny. I don’t have to worry about falling asleep in that class.

Apart from those 3 classes I’m also in Dance 180. I have three reasons for being in that class. One is I always meant to take that class while I was here at BYU. I was going to take it freshman year, and then I didn’t for some reason or another. I think maybe the girl I had a crush on and had planned on taking it with opted out last minute or something… I don’t know. Anyways I didn’t take it then. Then every other semester I would have had time to take it I opted to take a sports class like jogging (I hear your snickering!), volleyball, or racquetball. So alas, I had never taken the class. Well last semester I found out that this would be my last full semester of school. I lack only one class after this, which I will take spring term or possibly summer term. So I have to take it this semester. Another reason is because I happen to be dating a ballroom dancer who, if I were any less willing to take the class, would probably find ways to threaten me and coax me into the class. So, I guess girls still have the same power that they did my freshman year. And lastly, I barely have 12 credits this semester. I need some filler classes. Another one of those filler classes is French Choir. I just found out last night that one of my friends in the ward will be the director for the choir. I’m not sure how he landed that gig, but it should be pretty fun.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Might I recommend you try using paragraphs in your blog posts...

I loved game theory! Val Lambson is very funny, although it's true that you won't get many of his jokes. A lot of times I didn't even realize he had made a joke until after the fact when he'd say, "If you were real economists you would've laughed," which is more funny than the joke. Also, he likes to read Dave Barry articles in class.

Isn't econ such a great major? I never had more than 12 credits per semester my last two years at BYU and I only had 10 credits my last semester.

Are you really graduating that soon?! Man alive... I can't believe it. What do you plan to do when you graduate??

Mena said...

I love the dancing part! Haha! :)

Sarah Stiles said...

Your already nearing the end? How is this possible? I thought I would NEVER graduate! Sometimes it is hard to believe that I graduated 5 years ago. CRAZY!

Dance is great! Craig and I both took the Latin Silver class together, so when we got married we danced a couple of the dances we had learned. It was no Dancing with the Stars, but it was a lot of fun, and something different from the traditional "first dance". Plus, when we competed we had a lot more fun being partners. I would give my right leg to dance again. But then, I guess if I did that I couldn't dance. Maybe if gave an arm?