Sunday, December 13, 2009

MaD Library Party

So Saturday was the annual Music and Dance Library Christmas Party/Talent Show. I don't work there any more, but I was still invited, so I got together with one of the guys who works there and put together a couple of songs. I couldn't resist using the accordion of course. Could you? Here are a couple of the videos.

** It looks like the page cuts off part of the screen, so I would recommend clicking on the video twice or so to get sent directly to the youtube page.

The recording got started a verse late on this one. The first song is called "Istanbul" and the medley includes in order: Canon in D, Jump (Van Halen), Semi-Charmed Life (Third-Eye Blind), Island in the Sun (Weezer), Viva la Vida (Coldplay), Hey Jude (Beatles).



This was actually a spur of the moment thing. Someone found the music to this song somewhere in the archives at the library and the words were just too amazing to let pass unnoticed. It is originally written for harp, oboe and voice. Unfortunately the harpist got hung up somewhere and couldn't make it, so they asked me if I could accompany the song with the accordion. It turned out to add a nice level of humor to it. It wasn't the best performance, but I had never played nor heard the song before.

The first song is the musical rendition, and then the second is the poetic interpretation.

No comments: