Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Festival of Colors

For the final installment of this weekend’s activities I’ll talk about the Festival of colors. And this time there will be pictures! Joy. So there is a Hindu temple in Springfield or American Fork or some town down South of Provo. Every year at the beginning of spring they throw a party at the temple to celebrate the first day of spring. They let people look around the temple and then they sell colored flour. Yes flour that is not white. It comes in the assorted colors of blue, pink, orange, yellow, and red. So when the place is packed and the flour is all sold, they take a witch that they made and light it on fire. I guess that’s supposed to scare away the witches that come by in the spring. Well the minute that they light the witch on fire, everyone grabs those bags of flour and starts throwing the flour everywhere. Up, down, sideways, diagonally, and at your friends. It’s a blast. So within seconds you are covered from head to toe in all these beautiful colors. It’s quite the site. I had the lucky opportunity to be in the line of fire of some random guy running by who landed a big puff of blue in my mouth. That stuff tasted really gross. I was spitting blue spit for 5 minutes, really dark blue as well. It was interesting. It was perhaps the dirtiest show that I’ve ever taken when I got home. All the colors mixed together to make a gross brown color in the shower. It was quite gratifying to become clean though.

 
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sarah Stiles said...

I've been to that festival, but I never saw any burning witches or flour throwing. That would have been fun! We just saw llamas, and there was a band that played cool Big Band type music. And there was lots of llama stuff you could buy, like hats and wall hangings. Throwing flour would be way more fun.

Danielle said...

Maybe Sarah is thinking of Llama Fest which I was just about to say you should go to in the Fall. I got a henna llama tatoo on my arm. At Llama Fest they burn an effigy of the evil god or something like that. I guess they like burning effigies.

It's in September (I think) so keep your eye out for it.