Monday, July 14, 2008

New Car

So I finally did it and got a car. It’s a classic college car. You know… 10 years old, fairly high mileage. But the sucker is a trusty one. It’s an Acura Integra. So it’s made well and reliable for another 100,000 miles or so. Anyways when I tell people that I got a new car they always ask what color it is first, then what kind of a car it is and then say something like “Welp, you’ll be married in no time now.” Funny sort of. One of my good friends is engaged to be married next month and he had the same reaction. I told him that everyone says that and he said, “Well I struggled with girls for a long time and then I got a cell phone and a car and now I’m married.” Are all girls materialistic like that? No I don’t think so. But there is a slight looked down upon-ness there. Whether it’s an unconscious thing in the back of you mind or something else, it’s definitely there. It seems like you can just tell. Which is kind of lame. But I guess all of Bugs Bunny’s foes had a way of dealing with that. It’s the old classic saying “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.” Is that what I’m doing? Well I guess I am. Yet part of me still wants to be stubborn. Really stubborn. And I would be it if I had any idea how to be stubborn in this situation. But alas, I haven’t the faintest idea of what to do or refrain from doing to be stubborn. I guess I could refuse to use my car on dates. Maybe that would do it. That seems, bitter… and not very flattering to anyone though. Or at best silly. No sense in doing any of that. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get some pictures up of the car. I’m not a very good picture taker so I usually don’t have pictures on hand to just throw on a blog.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so proud of you and your ability to make such a big decision.

Sarah Stiles said...

YAY! A Car! Now you can come visit us!

For the record, Craig did NOT have a car when we started dating, but I did. I actually gave him my spare key after we had been dating a few weeks, and I let him use it when he needed to. You might think that sounds strange, but by that time I was pretty sure I was going to marry him. Besides, we did everything else together, including finances and laundry, so sharing the car did not seem like such a big deal.

Oh, and I really do not think you, of all people, need a car to get married. Honestly, I keep wondering what is wrong with all the girls down there these days, that you don't have them falling all over you! I can only reason that they must all be blind and deaf.

Unknown said...

I promise, not all girls are that materialistic. I'm sure there are some (which is absolutely ridiculous!) but most of us aren't like that.