Sunday, May 17, 2009

The life of Bryan

Well not much has really changed. Last time I wrote about what my life is like it went about like this. Frisbee, work, nerdy econ stuff, and… well… that’s about it. So now that summer has started my life consists of: Frisbee, work, nerdy econ stuff, and… a little soccer. Intramural season is underway. I’m on a Frisbee team with some people from the BYU team and on my ward soccer team. I also had the option of joining the softball and kickball teams, but since I also have normal BYU Frisbee practice twice a week as well as Frisbee games every Thursday for the Orem City Frisbee League, I figured it might be a good idea to take it a little easy.

So the run down on all the sports teams. Our Orem City league turned out to be a fairly solid team. They try to even the talent out between all the teams, but it is really hard to do that sometimes. The people assigning teams are on the BYU Frisbee team so they know most people who play competitively around here. Then you get a lot of people that they don’t know. You are supposed to rate yourself, but self ratings are extremely subjective, especially since it is hard to compare yourself when you don’t know what other people are rating. For example, I think I barely made it into the top 50 in rankings. I probably am really somewhere in the top 25 skills wise, but it’s just hard to rank yourself. For me it was fine because the people know me so they can put me where they need, but for others they have no idea. Well it turns out that a number of the unknown people who were assigned to my team are from BYU-Idaho and have played semi-competitively there. So we have a solid team. We are undefeated so far, but we have only played two games.

BYU Intramurals is going well. We put together an upper division team. It is a team of mostly mid range players from the BYU team. We don’t have any “handlers” but we all are competent enough to play at an intramural level. It turns out that we run an extremely smooth offense. It works and flows really well. The only problem is that we often drop easy catches. It is silly. But that’s what happens. We’ll see how the rest of the season turns out.

The BYU Ultimate team is going well. We changed our name to “Destroying Angels” a little while back and got new jerseys. The jerseys are very nice and are made of wicking fabric. We have a tournament coming up in June. It is actually the Utah Olympic Games. They added Ultimate to their list of events last year. It is one of the few 2 day tournaments that we actually get to play on both days (Usually the 2nd day is on Sunday so we skip out on those games). I’m looking forward to that. Hopefully we can take it all again.

Now for soccer, this is the first time in 3 or 4 semesters that I’m not playing goalie. I like goalie, but it’s fun to run around as well. I usually play defense or mid. I prefer mid. I like to be able to run on both sides of the field. There is a lot more running, which is good for me.

So that’s the run down on my sports life.

No comments: