Sunday, May 31, 2009

Man Lunch

I like food. In fact… I depend on it. It keeps me alive. On top of that, I like good food and large quantities of it. Most things that you would expect a stereotypical college guy to eat don’t do it for me. I like frozen burritos, ramen, nachos, and all the other things I should be eating to destroy my health, but none of those things ever fill me up or satisfy me. And if I go too long only eating those, then I start to get depressed. So I generally like to cook decent meals for my self. I have become a semi decent cook actually.

So my roommate David and I have started a tradition. On Sundays after church we have started to have a “Man Lunch.” And it has turned out to be, as David would put it, “not even a bad idea.” Basically we periodically have a wonderful steak meal, grilled on the barbeque. David takes care of the grilling while I cook up all the other stuff. Today we had some fresh asparagus to go with the steak and mashed potatoes. To be honest I’ve never cooked asparagus before. But it’s no different than any other vegetables. So I sautéed some onions and threw a bit of garlic in there. Then threw the asparagus in, and as a last minute brilliant idea, my roommate had some lemons. So we put in some fresh squeezed lemon juice. It gave it a wonderfully tasteful zing. Anything that can be described with the word “zing” has got to be good. Basically man lunches make both of us instantly giddy and happy. The steaks have been very high quality lately too. I don’t know if I just got lucky with the cut, or David’s grilling skills have greatly improved, either way I’m certainly not complaining. It leaves both of us happily satisfied in a blissful daze for hours afterwards.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

You crack me up!

Melanie said...

haha, yes for giddy happiness. I felt that way yesterday, cause it was kinda cloudy and cool at Lagoon A Beach, but then I buried my face in a fuzzy warm towel after rocketing down a 40 ft slide :)

maybe you could teach me this art of "man lunch" for when I'm at BYU..

Matthew said...

oops, that last comment was actually me. I'm on Melanie's computer.

Sarah Stiles said...

Asparagus is never good. Is it? I guess it would be kind of hard to tell, since I have only had what my mom cooked, and well, my mom was never known for her cooking skills. Steak is good though - very good. Hmm, methinks Bryan needs to come to dinner. Yes, yes.