Sunday, May 17, 2009

Maybe we are morally detached

So every once in a while I come across something that I find quite amusing. However, when I show it to someone else they find it less amusing. I have had reactions from disgust to thinking it is some sort of social heresy I came across a blog entry that one of my former professors happened to write on Times and Seasons. Now before you go and freak out, I think he does raise some interesting points, and it does have some societal implications that add a very logical side to the debate about abortion. So here’s the link. It turns out that using this kind of analysis we are definitely not at the socially optimal level of abortions, even when you throw morals out the window it still comes up that way. So anyways, one of the reactions I got to this article when I shared it was “Sick! He's putting a value to a fetus!" My thoughts were... well yeah. Maybe I'm just morally twisted and detached like all other economists. Or maybe I just make a difference between measuring a monetary value that a life has to an economy vs. what real value is. I don't know if that made sense, but I'm going to stick with it. We can debate that further if you so desire.

For any other social scientists/economists out there, he also wrote this article which I found amusing. Just do yourself a favor and don’t take things so seriously.

2 comments:

Mena said...

The price of a fetus one I am already familiar with. I liked the tithing one though. I'm not sure if I'd be more or less likely to pay tithing if it were 20%. Maybe we should employ some form of game theory to figure that out. Or, you could make a model...

Mena said...

"Babies are priceless."- random 'normal' people.

"No they're not; they cost money."- Shelly

:)