Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Goodbye" and FHE

So there have been 2 instances in the past two days where I haven’t said goodbye to someone. One was quite comical. The other one I just got a text saying, “Hey you didn’t even say goodbye.” Except I didn’t know who that was from. I had just come from our ward Dessert Night and so I figured it was someone there. It’s happened before that I’ve gotten a text from someone after dessert night saying hey you didn’t even talk to me or something. So I figure it was that. After browsing the ward directory for this number I came back with no luck. I tried to have my friend call and act like she had stolen my phone and ask who it was out of fear that if I called I wouldn’t recognize the voice, but no one answered and the answering machine was of no help. It was a generic one that just said the number, no names. Finally this morning I realized that the text had been sent before I even got to dessert night. I realized that it was someone from work with whom I had been chatting with online. When we were closing up I didn’t bother to say anything I just shut the computer down. I guess she was really hoping for a goodbye. My mistake.

The other instance was even better. This was on Monday after FHE, which I will take a little segue and talk about the FHE for a moment. It was a combined ward FHE and we played a game called Bigger and Better. Basically we divided up into groups and each group got a water bottle. Then we had to trade that for something bigger and better and who ever came back with the biggest and best item won. Well our first trade was for a can of vegetables. Then we headed up the hill and looked for the biggest house we could find and knocked on their door. They said that they didn’t want the vegetables, but they would still give us something. The dad there said to meet us downstairs and he’d give us something that would win the cake. So we walked down and what did he have? A foosball table! Yes he gave us a foosball table to keep. Apparently he and his wife had been praying for an opportunity to get rid of it. Well I’m glad we were able to be an answer to their prayers. Other people didn’t get the whole trading concept and ended up “borrowing” items. So they had cars and bikes and all that stuff. I still think ours was the coolest. Who gets a foosball table for a can of vegetables?

Ok I’ll start a new paragraph to get back on track. So after this FHE I was standing in the parking lot talking to a few girls in the ward. I don’t really remember what we were talking about, but in the middle of that conversation a guy from the ward came walking down the street with a big group of people and he yelled over “Hey Bryan, wanna play ultimate?” So my natural reaction was to yell back “Yeah!” and then I just walked away, I didn’t even turn back to say bye, or acknowledge the girls I was talking to. I had just completely forgotten about them. I didn’t even realize what I had done till halfway through the Frisbee game when Jim told me that it was hilarious and everyone was laughing about it. I guess I have a one track mind when it comes to Ultimate Frisbee. Oh well.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

haha...Bryan, you make me laugh!

Mena said...

I agree that the foosball table was the best, but I'm glad that our pizza/pizza man/borrowed pizza truck got such attention. (And, the pizza man's wife did totally trade him for that water bottle- no stipulations or questions asked!)